Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at the AIA Virginia.
AIA Virginia Executive Vice President/CEO
AIA Virginia is seeking an exceptional candidate for the position of Executive Vice President/CEO.
About the Organization
AIA Virginia is a state chapter (“component”) of the American Institute of Architects. With approximately 2,500 members, the organization represents the professional interests of architects, associate members, and allied professionals throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. AIA Virginia advances the profession of architecture in the state through legislative and regulatory affairs, public awareness and advocacy, and design and professional excellence.
AIA Virginia is the voice of the architecture profession in the Commonwealth, dedicated to serving its members, advancing their value, and improving the quality of the built environment.
The AIA Virginia Executive Vice President/CEO shall provide overall management of the operational, financial, membership, advocacy, education, honors, design awards, and component coordination areas, as established by the Board of Directors within the context of a statewide nonprofit organization. The EVP/CEO reports directly to the organization’s President, Executive Committee, and Board of Directors. The EVP/CEO serves as the primary liaison between and among the local components of the AIA and with national AIA. The EVP/CEO oversees a staff of seven to ten persons and directs these employees to carry out the vision and goals of the Board of Directors.
This position requires significant leadership skills in planning strategically and collaboratively. It also requires keen business acumen, strong management practices, and attentive customer service. Knowledge of architecture and/or the built environment is important. Experience in nonprofit membership organizations is critical. Most importantly, the candidate must be an excellent public speaker, listener, and writer, in order to communicate the value of the architect to a broad and diverse community.
The AIA Virginia Executive Vice President/CEO ensures that the programs, activities, and services of AIA Virginia directly benefit the members and the profession, as determined by the Board of Directors. Responsibilities include: facilitating long-range planning; implementing organizational goals and objectives; seeking non-dues revenue opportunities through programs, sponsorships, and collaborative initiatives; acting as liaison to state government agencies and identified public groups; assisting in Board development and governance; and providing relevant and timely member services. The EVP/CEO is responsible for managing the offices of AIA Virginia and ensuring that the office is appropriately staffed and structured to support the mission of AIA Virginia.
The following is a summary of the Executive Vice President/ CEO’s responsibilities:
Leadership, Public Relations, and Development – elevate public awareness
- Serves as spokesperson for the component and promotes AIA Virginia through the media, communicates with state leaders, and promotes component interests with allied organizations and other public entities.
- Diversifies the revenue stream by developing non-dues revenue opportunities and/or other income in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
- Liaises with national AIA, the Region of The Virginias, and the five local AIA chapters in Virginia: AIA Blue Ridge, AIA Central Virginia, AIA Hampton Roads, AIA Northern Virginia, and AIA Richmond.
- Maintains working relationships with Virginia’s accredited programs in architecture at Hampton University, Virginia Tech, and the University of Virginia.
- Forges meaningful and effective alliances with related professional organizations, sponsors/supporters, and Virginia businesses.
Finances, Operations, and Governance – fiduciary responsibility
- Collaborates in the development of the organization’s annual budget of approximately $1,500,000.
- Manages said budget and maintains best financial practices within the areas of governance, reporting, compliance, and risk management.
- Directs the component office and oversees a dynamic staff team.
- Participates in long-range and strategic planning for the future growth of the organization.
- Implements best practices for nonprofit governance.
- Maintains human resources responsibility for the organization.
Member Support – relevant programs and services
- Collaborates with the Board of Directors as well as the local, regional, and national components to assess membership needs, and sets annual operational and long-range strategic goals.
- Serves as a resource for the general membership in matters pertaining to AIA National policy and represents AIA Virginia at national, state, and local levels.
- Coordinates with the five local components and their membership needs to maintain accreditation by national AIA.
- Oversees the execution of signature educational and professional development programming to include Architecture Exchange East, the Art of Practice conference, the Virginia Design Forum, and others.
- Directs the annual honors and design awards programs.
- Encourages and supports the development of programs and services to meet members’ needs.
- Builds programs to encourage increased membership by architects.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree Required. Business and arts/architecture focus encouraged.
- Previous experience working in association management and/or chapter relations; exposure to professional societies preferred.
- Ability to oversee the strategic use of the organization’s digital tools such as software programs, social media, and applications.
- Evening or weekend work may be required.
- Understanding of membership organizations and/or familiarity with the architecture profession.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Efficiently handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment with attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively, efficiently, and professionally with individuals at all levels of the organization, both volunteers and staff.
- Exceptional written, organizational, communication, and customer service abilities.
- Resourceful nature, innovative spirit, and creative approach are valued.
- Demonstrated leader with a positive attitude, organizational dedication, and energetic enthusiasm.
Works closely with
- Other staff team members
- Members of the AIA Virginia Board of Directors
- Local component presidents and executives
- Members of AIA Virginia
Recruiting Compensation Range
Salary up to $110,000 annually, with generous benefits package.
Starting date anticipated June 2017.
E-mail letter of interest and C.V. or resume to Keesha Ezell, Human Resources Officer, AIA Virginia, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AIA Virginia provides equal opportunity to all staff members. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliations, or any other category that is protected by federal laws or the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Below are openings at firms within the region. To list a job opening at your firm, send job title, location, a brief description and how to apply to email@example.com. Job listings will run for 30 days and are free to AIA Virginia members.
Hughes Associates Architects & Engineers is a design-oriented firm with 31 years of providing creative and quality architectural solutions for a diverse portfolio of project types including K-12 Education, Healthcare, Religious Assembly, Hotels, and Public Service facilities.
We are seeking a licensed Architect (Virginia) with a minimum of 10 years of post-licensure experience who enjoys involvement in all aspects of a project, from programming through project closeout.
Additional requirements include:
- Strong detailing skills, building construction technical understanding
- Analytical mind with problem-solving skills
- Experience in production of construction documents and construction administration
- Creative design talent
- Effective communication, organization, and presentation skills
- Ability to resolve technical, code and agency approval issues
- Candidate must be able to work well in a collaborative, team culture
- Proficiency in AutoCAD
- Project experience aligned with our project types
- Proficiency in Revit
Whether you are a native Roanoker or one of our metropolitan friends looking for a change of pace, come and explore this exciting opportunity to join our firm. We offer a competitive compensation package based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits include PTO, health, dental and disability insurance plans, flexible work schedule, paid AIA dues, and the opportunity to participate in a retirement plan.
Send resume with cover letter, salary requirements and 3 professional references to KWilkins@HughesAE.com or mail to Hughes Associates Architects & Engineers, Attn: Kelly Wilkins, 656 Elm Avenue SW, Roanoke VA 24016.
Commonwealth Architects is looking for an Architectural Designer at their headquarters office in Richmond, Virginia’s historic Shockoe Slip. Our practice is constantly growing and includes new commercial, retail, office and multi-family projects as well as rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of existing buildings throughout Virginia and the mid-Atlantic region. Ideal candidates will have strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as the capability, both conceptualize a building’s design and develop construction documents for implementation. Candidate must be proficient in the use of AutoCAD and have experience relevant to commercial, multi-family, office or adaptive reuse project work. Knowledge of REVIT is preferred.
Responsibilities may also include: making sound decisions on the methods of approach and development of project(s), project execution and ability to independently evaluate, select and apply standard techniques, procedures, and criteria to each assignment. The individual must be proficient in developing creative architectural solutions that meet the firm’s standard of design and client expectations. This opportunity is ideal for graduates of an accredited architectural program. Individuals with 1-5 years of experience in the architecture field and a desire to be assigned to some of the region’s most exciting projects should forward their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration.
Architectural Designer I
CHP Design Studio is seeking an unlicensed architecture school graduate with fewer than two years experience to assist with architectural assignments. As a reputable leader in the field of not-for-profit housing and community development field, we have operations and communities throughout the Southeast. Our primary business is the preservation and construction of green, sustainable, affordable single- and multifamily housing. CHP has in-house development, architecture, construction, energy services, and housing management departments, many of which have won national awards for design, environmental sustainability, and excellence in affordable housing. Specific duties of the position include:
• Compile data and perform design computations and elementary architectural assignments.
• Prepare estimates and architectural plans as requested.
• May assist with inspecting structures in the field.
The successful candidate for the position will possess the following education and skills:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture and must be actively seeking state registration
• Must possess LEED Accreditation or desire to obtain it
• Must possess solid understanding of building construction, documentation, and detailing
• AutoCad and Microsoft Office experience necessary.
• Experience with Revit, Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign, and rendering programs such as SketchUp or 3DViz is desirable
• Must work well in a team environment
• Strong oral and written communication skills, graphic skills, and design ability
• Must be available for limited travel, overtime, and weekend work as required to meet training and project requirements/deadlines
This position is a full-time position offering competitive pay and benefits including health/dental/life/disability insurances, generous paid leave, retirement plan, and excellent work environment, among others. To apply for the position, please visit our website at www.communityhousingpartners.org/jobs and complete an online application. Please attach a letter of interest and resume as well. Equal Opportunity Employer
PVA Architecture, at the Paralyzed Veterans of America, is currently seeking an Architect for its National Office. This is a unique opportunity to work with a small, fast paced architectural group within a Washington, DC-based non-profit advocacy organization. The selected candidate would be responsible for advancing the organization’s mission by providing professional expertise in the field of architecture.
- Registration with 8-10 years strong architectural experience is required.
- Must be a results-oriented, knowledgeable, articulate, and a motivated self-starter.
- Must be a licensed architect; currently registered by a state, territory, commonwealth, or the District of Columbia.
- Thorough knowledge of accessibility codes and standards is a must. Healthcare experience is a plus.
Outstanding benefits package and collegial work environment. Travel required. Successful applications must include a cover letter, detailed work experience, and salary requirements. Qualified candidates should send applications to email@example.com. EOE.
Architect, Designer, or Project Manager
WORK PROGRAM ARCHITECTS (WPA) is looking for a new employee. If your background is in Architecture, Interior Architecture, or Interior Design then you might be a great fit for this position. We are looking for someone with at least a few years of experience to join our team. We’re seeking self-starters who are comfortable working on projects where you will be meeting with clients, visiting sites, and seeing projects through from pre-design to construction completion. You will learn to write your own proposals, set professional services fees, write contracts, complete a set of Construction Documents, and serve as a Project Manager throughout Construction Administration. We expect you to come to the table with good architectural design skills, excellent architectural graphic standards, a good eye for graphic design, good writing and communication skills, and the desire to work closely with an incredibly talented and unique team of people. You will need to be extremely proficient in Sketchup and Revit, and be interested in learning supporting software like Rhino/Grasshopper, VRay, Enscape, Illustrator, etc. Please send resumes and portfolio samples to Beth White at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WORK PROGRAM ARCHITECTS (WPA) has an incredible portfolio of local Urban Design work. You will be partnered with our Urban Design team to work on Complete Street designs, community charrettes, resilience planning along with the study of coastal flooding and sea level rise, planning and modeling future development sites in Norfolk, and working on pattern books for our changing neighborhoods and character districts. You will be working with our amazing team of consultants who are experts in sustainable landscape design, civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, and hydrology. You will be able to see your City change around you in just a few years as we work through projects that affect our families and our neighbors. We expect you to come to the table with a love of actively participating in an urban environment, walking and biking, and living in our changing City. You should be passionate about improving the lives of all citizens of a community. You will need to be extremely proficient in Sketchup and Adobe Photoshop and we can teach you the rest (ArcGIS, Revit, Rhino, Grasshopper, V-ray, Enscape, etc.). You should also be comfortable with and have fun sketching out ideas in front of a crowd. Please send resumes and portfolio samples to Beth White at email@example.com.
MTFA Architecture – a diverse, collaborative, full-service design oriented firm in Arlington, Virginia – is seeking architects that are interested in growing with the firm. MTFA positively shapes culture, commerce, and people’s lives through innovative problem solving for the built environment. MTFA’s diverse market strengths include: educational, cultural, religious, commercial, multi-family, government and historic preservation related projects. Essential credentials include:
- Architecture degree with 5 to 15 years’ experience
- Design sensibilities and construction document skills
- Knowledge of building systems and detailing
- Ability and experience editing specifications
- Proficiency and project experience in Revit
- Strong communications and organizational skills
- Collaborative personality to bring out the best in team situations
- Project coordination skills
- US Citizen or permanent US resident
Please provide a letter of interest, resume and work sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bowie Gridley Architects (BGA) is currently seeking Project Architects with 5-10 years experience to be project team leaders on a variety of institutional projects. Candidates must be licensed Architects with a professional degree in Architecture, preferably with significant experience in the education market. This position requires strong management and organizational skills to lead a multi-discipline team; excellent written and verbal communication skills; Revit proficiency; and an understanding of all phases of design including knowledge of building systems, materials, and products. To learn more about BGA, visit bowiegridley.com. Address resumes and work samples to email@example.com.