The American Institute of Architects is a professional society with component organizations at the national, state and local levels. AIA Virginia is a state component of the AIA, focused on delivering value to architects with statewide impact. Since 1914, AIA Virginia has represented the professional interests of architects and allied professionals in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
AIA Virginia works in collaboration with five local chapters — Blue Ridge, Central Virginia, Hampton Roads, Northern Virginia and Richmond. These six components join with West Virginia in forming the Region of the Virginias to elect a representative director to the national AIA board. Together with the national component and components across the country, we form one AIA.
What We Do
- While you focus on the business of architecture, the AIA Virginia supports and protects you by monitoring and influencing legislation and regulation at the state level.
- Staying current in your profession is critical to your success. We provide a wide range of professional development opportunities in locations throughout the state.
- Good architecture and design affects the quality of life for all the citizens of Virginia. We communicate the value of your work and the role you play in the community.
- Professional relationships enrich your career. We help connect you with colleagues who share common challenges, opportunities, and interests.
How We Do It
- We fight for fair state laws and regulations regarding the built environment.
- We work to educate Virginia legislators about the complicated issues surrounding the practice of architecture: building codes, qualifications-based selection, statutes of repose, historic tax credits, growth management, historic preservation, and more.
- We propose state regulations that benefit the practice of architecture.
- We position architects as leaders in the community through recommendations for gubernatorial appointments.
- We provide comments and recommendations on statewide codes and regulations.
- We track and provide you with updates on legislation of interest to architects.
- We sponsor a Political Action Committee that supports legislators (on a non-partisan basis) who have been identified as friends of the profession.
- We encourage Citizen Architects by supporting volunteer, elected, and appointed leadership service within government, civic and charitable organizations.
Interested in finding out how to get involved in advocacy efforts? Contact Paul Battaglia, AIA.
- We host an annual conference and expo — Architecture Exchange East — to keep you on the cutting edge of the profession.
- We develop and deliver symposia, seminars, forums and classes throughout the state.
- We recognize excellence in design and preservation through various awards programs.
- We assist emerging professionals on the path to licensure and continue to nurture professional growth through leadership development programs.
- We track continuing education units.
- We distribute AIA Contract Documents and Code Books.
Questions about professional development? Contact Rhea George.
- We work to educate members of the media about the contributions of architects and allied professionals to the community.
- We coordinate the annual Virginia Architecture Week to celebrate the built environment.
- We support educational programming — for preschoolers to senior citizens — to create a community of design advocates and nurture future architects.
- We work collaboratively with The Branch Museum of Architecture and Design on programming that serves the community and our members.
Interested in getting involved in public outreach efforts? Contact Rhea George.
- We sponsor state Knowledge Communities to keep you connected with others who share your professional interests and passions.
- We mindfully create networking opportunities during all of our events.
- We promote collaboration between the profession, students and professors in Virginia through programming, scholarships, and awards.